This video and article will demonstrate how you can use the CSV importer to update all products in GroovePacker. This is handy in a number of different scenarios, and we'll be doing an overview of how to update all of your inventory counts - say, from a new file from your shopping cart or your order manager.
Backups are your friend! Always take a backup when using the CSV importer, as it ensures you can restore your products if needed.
Follow this article to create a backup.
- To begin you'll need a CSV file from shopping cart / order manager , or a CSV from GroovePacker's product export.
You can modify the file if needed, then import all of your new data and possible modifications. If you'll be modifying and saving your changes please take care to use the text data type when opening the original file as explained here.
- Click on Settings at the top
- If you already have a CSV store open it by clicking on it's name. (if no CSV store exists yet you can create one by clicking "Create Store" for the Store settings menu on the left)
- In the CSV store window scroll down to the Product Import section
- Select the CSV file stored on your computer
- If the file is in the same format (ie same number of columns in the same column order) as a file that was previously imported you should already have a map that can be used to import the file. It will likely be selected already in the map drop down for you. If this is your first upload with a new file format please use the "Clear Map" option so you can create a new map rather than using the selected map.
- If you would like to check that the map is setup correctly for the current file(always a good idea) or if you would like to make changes to an existing map, click "Edit Map" while it is selected. If you click "edit map" or import while no map is selected a new one will be created.
Note: Most of the default settings are usually okay for most imports.
- In most cases you'll want to leave the default, 3rd option selected. If you would like GroovePacker to ignore any SKUs in the file that have not previously been imported and only update existing items you can choose the 2nd option.
Giving the map a name will allow you to easily reuse it later:
All columns that are mapped will be created if they do not exist or updated if they do. SKU is always required. If you're updating data for existing products it will be the SKU which is used to associate the new data to the existing data.
Then we click import, and it'll give you the report of how many new and updated products there were.
If we go to the CSV importer, our CSV map should be saved and we can re-use it with a file that has the same column order and number of columns. This makes it really fast to update your product data when the columns in your file are consistent from file to file.
If you run into any issues, don't hesitate to contact support using the support tab on side of the screen - we're here to help!